May 30, 2008

5 Hours to do that?

Left Hand Short Radius Peco Switch: $19.99
Strip of balsa wood the rough dimensions of an HO railroad tie: 25¢
Foam paintbrush: 40¢
Spending five hours laying, soldering, and ballasting track, adding details to a dock and running in a new locomotive? Priceless

I discovered that last night my track had wandered left. I'm not sure how, but wander it did. I'm using Locktite adhesive to keep my track in place, as suggested here. Maybe that has something to do with it. So I vacuumed what I could and re-laid and re-ballasted the track.
I'm laying track on the fly because I've discovered my nice little plan I had sketched out is simply not going to work. But all the industries in Salmon Bay will have rail service. I laid and ballasted the track toward East Ballard. Due to the fact the fiddle yard is not going to be built in my time in Missoula, nor is East Ballard itself, I've added a bumper modeled after the ones used at Fort Missoula.
I grabbed the medium ballast as opposed to the fine so it looks chunkier then that seen on the real SBT, but it looks wonderfully like that seen at the fort. Just dumped in place and enough to get the job done. This is fine because the SBT uses 152lb rail.
I also added some detail to the dock. Mainly a railroad tie at the end of the dock so my trains don't just keep going. That new tank car rolls like nothing and after one near miss I decided it was time. I added some more dowels to make it look more "docky". Still have no idea what I'm going to put under it. It's amazing how the Dark Walnut stain I'm using looks like cresote though.
My next job is getting the cannery spur in place. The cannery is built at the other end of Salmon Bay and included the run around track. Space keeps getting tighter and tighter on the layout, but it will be done.
The Davenport arrived today, and after running for about an hour has started giving me fits. Not sure why. Look good though!
I'll get pics up tomorrow.

No comments: