May 17, 2008

Descent into Madness?

The #10 has it's base coat done. And quite fetching if I do say so!
Photobucket
But I discovered, you can take it so much further!! I air bushed the main shell and cab, with the the roof masked off. There was some bleeding on the roof and it didn't look good. I figured, why keep the roof unpainted if it's going to look like this anyway? I had a brush and paint so I figured now is as good a time as any to work on my hand painting skills. And they need work, but they're not half bad either. After three coats on the roof, I tackled around the headlight and the more I painted the more I found that could use a touch up.
Since I had #10 out, why not see about Galena? Door sills, end rails, window sills all were repainted. I even painted the parts you'll never see that I thought should be.
In reading about how "serious" modelers model I sometimes found myself wondering "Why?" I no longer have to ask. So what if no one else is going to see the under frame sides on your 1880's business coach. They will never know the original paint is showing through. But you will, so you paint it. It's not so much for the eyes of others but for your own eyes. And my eyes after an extra hour and a half of "Work" are satisfied. For now.
But much work lays ahead. I need to wood color the doors on Galena and maybe do the window frames red. #10 needs grills painted as well as the roof and assorted. Front and maybe side grab irons and stanchions in appropriate wire, a multi-chime horn, radio antenna, off set hood mount air bell and a rotary beacon. And for both decals and weathering.
And now that I'm thinking of it, maybe do the oil tanks as well.
Wait until I get rails laid! Of course I have to paint my tracks first.

No comments: