May 16, 2008

Con-Cor Oil Storage Tanks

After more then five years I've decided it's time to attempt a new model. Got some cash, so wandered into our local hobby store and picked up the Con-Cor "Cambria City Storage Tanks". I have an oil transfer point on my layout, the price was good so I picked it up and headed to my workspace.
Photobucket
Looks innocent, doesn't it? The picture is first rate and makes one think "Hey look! A kit someone with my skills can put together and make it look like that!" To a point, yes you can.
So I cracked open the box and found the following:
Photobucket
So far so good. I began following the instructions and discovered to my horror they were terrible! "We'll just put tab A into Slot B...wait, that doesn't work. Let's see, says it should. Hmm. Okay. Nope, doesn't fit. Not at all....wait, whats on the other side? No picture of that side. Okay. Hmm."
The first half wasn't that bad, I"ll admit. When I broke to wash my hands and have a glass of juice I had made it to step three.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I was very excited, but I had forgot a few things. Like the fact the model cement will without fail stick to your hands no matter what you do. That little parts when gluing will then stick to your hands, making precise positioning nigh impossible. I placed one of the tanks to far forward as there were no marks to tell me where to put them. So I couldn't fence the whole platform in. Some of the doodads that hang off the tank were the wrong size.
Now it should be noted at this point earlier in my modeling career I would have stomped off claiming the kit was stupid and how could I do it? I lost quite a few kits that way. But I figured the directions weren't that, just suggestions! So I began to bash the kit to fit what I liked. Dual transfer pipes, different fence placement, and a few minor things. When the dust settled I had a passable oil storage facility.
Photobucket
Not bad, eh? Sure some of the fences are leaning and it's not exactly as seen on the box, but I don't care! I'm not in Cambria City. This is a perfect 1/87th version of the WESTCO Oil storage tank in East Ballard, Washington on the SBT. I'm pleased to see the model is so accurate ;)
Photobucket
Photobucket
So there you have it. Not without some swearing and questioning. But it does deserve a place on my layout and after painting it will take it's place on the WESTCO spur.

Item: Con-Cor Cambria City Storage Tanks
Price: $11.85
Purchased at: Treasure Chest Hobbies and Crafts Missoula, MT
Rating: 6 out of 10
Pros: Not to hard to build. The parts that fit, fit together well. Looks like what it says on the box. Easy to make it your own with parts on hand.
Cons: I'm going to outlaw Master Craftsman putting together these kits for the photographs. Show me the end result of Joe Modelers results. I think the person who made the instructions knew more then they were showing about how to put the kit together. They need to show every step from multiple angles and a completed view as well. Label every piece as an individual, and make sure the fit as pictured!

No comments: