May 15, 2008

The Real Thing

I am moving to Seattle. Right now I live in the heart of Northern Pacific country in Missoula, MT. But a change is needed, so recently I took a fact finding trip to Seattle. Little did I know it would change my layout in progress!
I'm a huge Deadliest Catch fan, so while tramping the water front in Ballard looking for the star crab boats I stumbled upon the Ballard Terminal Railroad. This is a railroad run by three gentleman to serve two industries in Ballard. Here is a page about it that tells a much better story then I do!
I took some photo's that I feel capture the mood and feel of this railroad.
Ballard Terminal Railroad
Here we have some of the industrial type trackage seen on the route.
Ballard Terminal-Locks
Heading towards the BNSF mainline with the approach to the massive Salmon Bay Bridge overhead. The grade is sharp and the track work classically industrial.
SL&E?
Abandoned track. This line runs the length of the Ballard waterfront. I can almost see it in it's heyday. The shot trains bringing needed supplies to the multitude of businesses. The loads going out. It's busy and bustling. Gritty and urban.
Lumber Mill
The modeling possibilities presented were to blatant to pass up. Gone was my logging railroad. The switchback? No more. Sawmill? Maybe. But here was a place I had walked on and looked at and pocked about. I know how big the ballast is, what the neighborhood is like. This makes my Salmon Bay more "real" in my head then the Buck Creek Northern ever would have been. If you have any ideas on how to model what is seen in these pictures, please pass them on! I'll be posting more of my images as the blog progresses!

No comments: